Monday, October 20, 2008

Everybody Loves Bacon

And if you don't love bacon, you aren't American.  For reals.

I whipped up this divine dish for my man and me, and it took about 15 minutes.  My man is fat and happy!  Well, not really fat, but definitely happy :)  

Spaghetti Carbonara

Ingredients
8 ounces bacon (8 slices), cut 1 inch think crosswise
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
1 pound spaghetti
3 large eggs
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (I used Romano...tasted great)
1/2 cup half-and-half
**1/2 bag of frozen peas

Instructions
1.  Set a large pot of water to boil (for the pasta).  In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp (or super, duper, extraordinarily crispy - like practically black), 8-12 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.

2.  Avoid eating said bacon as it stares back at you from the paper-towel-lined plate and invitingly calls your name.  (Jeremy did not read this instruction very carefully.)

3.  Salt the boiling water generously; add the past and cook until al dente according to the package instructions.

4.  Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, Parm, and half-and-half.  Set aside.

5.  Drain the pasta, leaving some water clinging to it.  Working quickly, add the hot pasta to the egg mixture.  Add the bacon; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine (the heat from the pasta will cook the eggs).  Serve immediately , sprinkled with additional Parm.

**I added frozen peas the last minute of cooking the pasta - yummy!  I LOVE PEAS!!



It was so good, I forgot to take a picture until it was gone.  Literally, this is all that was left.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan - Your mom shared this with me & I had a good chuckle from your comments...I may even TRY it (I don't cook ya know...)
Loved the photo...you sound very happy. Keep it up!!!

Hugs...silverfox (The peanut butter/jelly specialist!!)

acoplen said...

Great idea in adding some healthful peas in the end, good color addition too!

The Meyers Family said...

as always, you crack me up! Tell me again why we have to live 2000 miles apart??? The part about leaving the bacon on the plate totally hits home as Jon is famous for snatching it before I've used it as planned....

The Heumphreus said...

We're making it tonight! Yummm...do you know there's another blog called "Little Martha". I was really confused for awhile...I know you didnt grow up in the 60s in the midwest...