Thursday, February 28, 2008

Save the Liver!


Not being an adventurous cook whatsover (think: steak and potatoes mostly) I decided to try Mario Batali's chicken liver and fettucini recipe. It sounds disgusting because what American under the age of having lived through the Depression eats liver. I was assured by Mario that Italians are not squeamish in the least about silly things like sweatbreads and tongues. Not being Italian myself, I'm not sure what I was thinking. (The Polish and the Irish stock from which I hail are not known for being creators of world class food- vodka and beer is where they'll kick your ass) I think it must have been the liter of chianti I was consuming last Sunday night while flipping through "Simple Italian Food" and half watching Goodfellas on TNT that prompted me to abandon my delightful spot on the couch and head to the ghetto Giant for a few simple ingredients. What turned out wasn't bad....I'm not saying that we will be having Liver Sundays at the Soja house from now on, but I was pleased that I tried it. I let Megan and little Jerry Seinfeld sample a bit of the leftovers as an "appetizer" before cod and leeks. The jury, as they say, was hung. "Gamey" and "meaty" were probably the best ways to describe Mario's and my creation. For the curious among you, you basically simmer some veggies and the aforementioned liver with some wine, tomato paste and bay leaves for 30 mintues. The resulting ragu is tossed with fettucini and parm. cheese and eaten....haltingly by me. Not bad, but pretty sure its not going to earn a place in the rotation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I love the picture and the commentary. I have to say the flavor was very good - but the liver itself was a strange consistency that I've never experienced. It surely isn't meat in the truest sense - but I am happy to report that it was rather tasty!