Friday, February 29, 2008

Wieners



I recently went on a little business trip to Germany. On this little business trip I discovered that the Deutsch love thier wieners. Seriously - this restaurant sign truly says it all. Jeremy flew over for a short weekend and we toured the Romantic Road with his cousin Joel and his wife Amy. They were fantastic tour guides as they talked us through all the menus...I actually tried a dish called Currywurst - and it was delish: fried hotdog, slathered in ketchup, and dusted with curry power. Jeremy, the hotdog connoisseur that he is, thought that the real flavor of the dog was over-powered by the ketchup.


On our first night, we stayed in the cutest medieval town called Rhottenburg. We decided to have "traditional" German food. I was delighted with my schnitzel but Joel got this rather unidentifiable item. I believe it was fried cod - but they fried EVERYTHING to include the scales. I don't think I would have been as happy as he was with this selection...

















On our last day in Germany, Joel and Amy made sure that we tried Doner Kebap - and it did not disappoint! It is fairly reminicient of a Greek Gyro - but better! They slice it off the stake as seen in this pic, and stuff it into flat bread with red cabbage, onions and this yummy sauce. Seriously awesome and a must try if you are ever in Germany!









2 comments:

j s said...

Germany was a blast, the food was good but not close to as good as yours lil martha!

acoplen said...

Great Pictures. Joel said it was carp not cod, but who cares, it still looked insane. I wouldn't have called it appitizing. We are in Paris right now and loving it! We just found out that most of the must see museums are free the first Sunday of the month! How lucky are we?