I am SO EXCITED for two reasons: 1) This salad was super simple and delish (although Owen literally threw it on the floor, so maybe not as kid friendly as I thought); 2) I FINALLY figured out how to take a decent food picture inside without it turning out orange!!! I have been taking a photography class and I am LOVING it. It is all about practice - food sits still so you can take multiple pictures and get it just right.
Little bug does NOT sit still, so again, practice, practice, practice! I worked REALLY hard to get this picture as he was ALL over the place at the Insect Zoo. It kind of looks like he is striking a pose as a grass hopper :) We went to K State Open House this weekend and the Insect Zoo was free. (Although it is hard to beat the normal admission of $2!) O got to pet some cockroaches...good thing we had lots of wipes!
Now then, the food. I called this salad "Sunset Salad" because I got it out of the January 2012 issue of Sunset Magazine - my FAVORITE mag. Ever. It makes me feel like I still live in California :) The quinoa and the chicken make this little summer salad very hearty and filling. Owen used to gobble up quinoa, but now that he is obstinate and a pill, he just scoops it out of the bowl and onto a plate, or straight up throws it on the floor. NEAT!
Quinoa Salad with Chicken, Avocado, and Oranges
Serves 4-6 as a main course
Ingredients
1 1/4 cup quinoa (I used 1 cup dry, per my package instructions)1 tsp chili powder
3 tsp minced garlic, divided
Zest of 1 lime
2 tsp plus 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp each, kosher salt and pepper, divided
1 lb boned, skinned chicken thighs (we used 2 HUGE chicken breasts)
1/4 cup lime juice
4 large oranges, peeled and segmented (I only used two and I cut the segments into thirds)
2 ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 scallions (the original recipe didn't call for it, but I thought it would be a nice addition and it was)
*Next Time* I will add celery and some halved grapes - YUM!
Instructions
1) Cook the quinoa according to the package directions and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.2) We grilled our chicken, but the instructions are for broiling: Preheat broiler with a rack set 4 to 6 inches from heat. In a large bowl, stir together chili powder, 2 tsp garlic, the lime zest, 2 tsp oil, and 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat. Put chicken on a baking sheet and broil turning once until browned and cooked through, about 12 minutes total. Let cool slightly, then slice and add to reserved quinoa.
3) Add remaining ingredients to quinoa and chicken, toss to coat. (Now, we marinated and BBQ'd the chicken a few days ago and just made the salad tonight. Had I thoroughly read the instructions I would have known that the "remaining ingredients" includes: 3 tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp each of kosher salt and pepper, and 1 tsp garlic! Undoubtedly it would be even better if I actually followed the instructions and added all of these remaining ingredients...)
Now, I have to share some of my fave pics from my most recent photography field trip to Wildcat Park!
| We took pics in this huge black walnut grove. I love the sunlight! |
| Working on my aperture settings... |
| As I was leaving, I passed a beautiful wheat field. |
| Can you see what looks like fishing wire hanging from the tree? It is a freaking spider web! |
| There were tons! I wish I had a better lens and a tripod! |
| And finally, Virginia Creeper - a sign that we were meant to return to the great Commonwealth of Virginia! |
1 comment:
I think I might make this tonight! I've never used quinoa and have been excited to try it.
Post a Comment