Thursday, April 19, 2012

Masterpiece!

Jeremy's Ebelskivers filled with mint chocolate chips!  It was also St. Patrick's day, thus the green was fitting!

And I don't mean Downton, which I am thoroughly obsessed with and totally disappointed it won't be back until January!!  Anyfood, one Christmas I couldn't take my eyes off of the Ebelskiver (round pancakes originating in Denmark) pans at Williams Sonoma.  Once I received said Ebelskiver pan I went to work trying my hand at these tasty filled pancakes.  Alas, I was discouraged as I couldn't get them right!  I inevitably would get the first batch right, but then the second batch I would burn the butter, which would then make the pancakes look burned, so I would try to turn them before they were cooked all the way through, and we would end up with flat rather than round Ebelskivers. 


But I finally had my *aha* moment - turn the temperature down to Medium.  DUH.  Seriously?  As an avid cook, how could I miss such an easy fix?!?!?!  Well, either way, the butter doesn't burn, the pancakes cook evenly because the outsides aren't burning, they are easier to flip over and fill, etc. 

My Ebelskivers filled with cinnamon chips - LOVE!
I think another contributing factor was that until now, I used the premade batter from WS.  Lucky me, I didn't have any left and had to make my own!  Scratch Ebelskiver batter is the way to go - so lovely and fluffy!  And easy!  And YES, they are delish.  Now, I don't think this recipe will be one my readers will try, so I am not going to take the time to write it all down!  But if you are interested, leave me a comment and I will happily forward it to you!


Owen wasn't quite sure at first what these round things were...he is a huge fan of the plain old flat pancakes...


Alas, he approved!  I think he preferred the "chock-it" version, however.  He LOVES chocolate.  He knows Nestle Tollhouse bags and chants "chock-it, I try it" until I eventually give him a few chips.  That kid has got my number!!


Can you blame me?!?!!?

3 comments:

The Meyers Family said...

yep, he's pretty awesome. As are these delightful looking treats. I'd love the recipe! Of course, I don't have the special pan, but maybe a muffin tin would work??

Megan said...

Hmm...maybe. It would have to be mini-muffin. The problem would be getting the muffins to flip over so you could cook the other side...I will send the recipe and you can let me know how it works :)

HB said...

"Chock-it, I try it". Love that! I might start saying it. K had exactly the same St. Patty's shirt: great minds! Love the post! H