Sunday, June 5, 2011

Party of One


One year for my sister's birthday, she got a PA system - the most random gift ever. I really don't remember why she wanted it or what she planned on doing with it. What I very clearly remember is the constant tormenting from dear sissy and my dad. When I would be in the front yard either washing the car, weeding, planting flowers, etc., they would position the PA system in the upstairs bathroom window and would turn the volume all the way up and repeat the following over and over, "Megan, party of One. Your table is ready." I do not know why they thought this was so funny or why I found it so irritating, but alas, that is what they did. And to this day when I sit down to a meal by myself, I hear my dad saying, "Megan, party of One. Your table is ready." The End.

Anyfood, J man was out of town for a week and so I had to motivate to cook for myself. When I was a "party of one" in Tacoma I often would have a glass (or two) of vino with Mission Tortilla Strips and Pace Picante Salsa - dinner of champions! Alas, as I am eating for two (no, not pregs, just breast feeding) I thought I'd step it up a notch and make something a wee bit healthier!

This fed me for several days, and then we used it as a side salad when my sissy and her fam came to visit us in the Little Apple! (Pictures to follow the recipe!)

Orzo and Roasted Vegetable Salad

Serves 6 (or a "party of one" several times) - Barefoot Contessa Parties!

Ingredients

1 small eggplant, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
1 red bell pepper, 1-inch diced
1 yellow bell pepper, 1-inch diced
1 red onion, peeled and 1-inch diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound orzo or rice-shaped pasta
* For the veggies I just threw in what I had - get creative! As for the Orzo - don't go crazy, that stuff multiplies like you've never seen!

For the dressing:

1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/3 cup good olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

To assemble:

4 scallions, minced (white and green parts)
1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts), toasted
3/4 pound good feta, 1/2-inch diced (not crumbled)
15 fresh basil leaves, cut into julienne

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Toss the eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, and pepper on a large sheet pan. Roast for 40 minutes, until browned, turning once with a spatula.

Meanwhile, cook the orzo in boiling salted water for 7 to 9 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the roasted vegetables to the pasta, scraping all the liquid and seasonings from the roasting pan into the pasta bowl.

For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour on the pasta and vegetables. Let cool to room temperature, then add the scallions, pignolis, feta, and basil. Check the seasonings, and serve at room temperature.

~
For your viewing pleasure, some pics from my sister, brother-in-law, and favorite nephew's visit this past week!



Um, of course the boys are Angels fans! My sister and I grew up going to games with my dad. He had season tickets for years and years. My very favorite part of the game was getting ice cream sundaes in the little helmets. Or watching my mom cross-stitch...


How ferocious are O's swim trunks?! The Little Apple has a fabulous splash park. The boys were maybe a little too small for it, but they still had a great time playing in the water!


There was much time spent digging through cabinets we accidentally left open. I don't know why I still leave cabinets open when at the back of my mind, I know O will pull everything out. To me, it looks like Owen is saying to Will, "Can I get you anything else while I'm up here?"



And then Will had to go there with a ring in the face. Big bully. HOWEVER, I will concede that O has become a foffy (our family's term for pacifier) stealer, or, for that matter, a stealer of anything that Will had in his adorable little hands.



In the end, the boys had some good cousin time. I think O misses his big cousin; he has been a bit mopey in the morning. Sad for him. Maybe he needs a little brother or sister?! Or we need to move back to California!

1 comment:

The Meyers Family said...

OK, seriously, those boys are just too stinkin' cute together! My sister REALLY needs to get on the baby train so our kids can hang...

Miss you!
meg