For serious. The J man and I are heading to Paris at the end of September and I cannot wait for crepes, baguettes with brie and cucumber, champagne, and macaroons. But in the meantime, I will settle for French Toast Souffle. And I'm really not settling - because it is absolutely excellent. I'm not even kidding. I made this little gem for a girlfriend's baby shower and it was a hit. It is not low cal - unless you have incredible self control of course - but it is totally worth it. If you are watching your calories, I will include the Cooking Light version (boooo - you need to make the fully loaded version!!!!).
French Toast Souffle
Serves a ton - from my mom's kitchen
Ingredients
16 oz cream cheese (I actually only used 12 oz or a cube and a half of Philly 1/3 fat)
16 slices french bread (I used the freshly baked loaves from the bakery section of the grocery store - 1 lb of bread)
12 eggs
2 cups milk (I used nonfat milk)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup (my mom prefers Log Cabin because it has a little more fava flav)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Instructions
Remove crust and cube bread (if I were you, I'd leave the crust on, it makes it more rustic. It is best if the bread is a bit stale, so let it sit out for a bit after you cut it). Layer 1/2 of the cubed bread in greased 9X13. Cube cream cheese and place on bread. Place remainder of bread on top of cream cheese. Sprinkle 1st and 2nd layer of bread with nutmeg & cinnamon. Mix together eggs, milk, syrup, and vanilla and pour over bread. Cover and let stand over night in fridge. Bake in preheated oven @ 375* for 45 minutes.
Cooking Light Version
Ingredients
10 cups bread
2/3 cup half & half
1/2 cup maple syrup
8 eggs
8 oz. cream cheese
powder sugar on top
1/2 tsp vanilla
Instructions
Beat cream cheese, add eggs, milk, 1/2 and 1/2, and pour over bread. Refridge over night. Remove from the fridge and let stand for 30 minutes. Bake for 50 minutes at 375*.
Bon Appetit!
1 comment:
yum!!!! I never make breakfast food (other than eggs and pancakes and frozen waffles) so this is the perfect excuse to try something delish. How fun to be preparing for the big trip - I want to go!!
Post a Comment