Monday, March 2, 2009

Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater

If there is one thing I could say that I like about snow, its the insatiable desire to cook yummy comfort food like Pumpkin Chili!! I know I posted a pumpkin recipe earlier this year - but this one is totally different despite the the common denominator of 100% solid pack pumpkin.

I will admit, I have become immune to the delights of regular old chili - I have been spoiled by this yummy, healthy, pumpkin filled option. My mom got this recipe from the people of Libby's Solid Pack Pumpkin. She called the 1-800 number one day and asked what else she could use pumpkin in and the fine people of Libby's sent her a whole cookbook of delightful recipes. Stay tuned for more to come!

Ingredients
2 tbsp veggie oil (I use EVOO)
1/2 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper (I always use one whole bell pepper)
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper (ditto - and sometimes I mix it up a bit and throw in an orange or yellow bell pepper)
1 pound ground turkey or lean ground beef
3 1/3 cups (2 14.5 oz cans) Recipe Ready diced tomatoes - undrained (I never use the same thing twice as far as the toms go - I've used Rotel to spice it up, or Italian recipe stewed toms, etc.)
1 3/4 cup (15 or 16 oz can) Libby's Solid Pack Pumpkin (be careful you don't get the pumpkin pie mix!!)
1 3/4 cup (15 oz can ) Tomato Sauce
1 1/2 cup (15 1/4 oz can) kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup (4 oz can) diced green chiles
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn (I always use one can of sweet corn, drained)
1 tbsp chili powder
1tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Toppings (totally optional - I never use any toppings - it is so amazing on its own!)

Instructions
HEAT oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and bell peppers; cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add ground meat; cook until browned. Drain. (Note: if you are using turkey, entirely unlikely that you will have anything to drain...)

ADD tomatoes and juice, pumpkin, tomato sauce, kidney beans, chiles, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover; cook gently for 30 minutes. Serve garnished with toppings, if desired.

3 comments:

Jamie van Hoften said...

What is that cutie cute dish that the chili is in? So fun!

The Meyers Family said...

Made this tonight - delish! It was a last minute decision so had to improvise on a few of the ingredients but it was tasty. I used a can of chili beans instead of kidney, plain tomatoes rather than some with flavor (boring, but what I had on hand!) and, believe it or not, some pizza sauce in lieu of the tomato sauce. Yummers!

Poland said...

Amazing! Amazing! Amazing!