My mom sent this recipe to my sister and I, and it is a keeper! It is so easy, and you'll impress anyone you serve it to (even yourself :) My mom's comments are as follows: "Its easy, cheap & tastes great." If that isn't an endorsement, I don't know what is.
Penne with Tomatoes and Arugula
Ingredients
2-3 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic (if you haven't tried the Trader Joe's frozen garlic cubes - you must! SO EASY)
3 cups diced canned tomatoes w/ juices
1 tsp. each: oregano and thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. each: red pepper flakes*, sugar, & black pepper
12 oz penne pasta
6 oz arugula
3/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan
* I add more red pepper b/c I like it spicy!
Directions
Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add tomatoes, herbs, & sugar. Reduce heat & simmer for 45 minutes or until thickened. (Sauce can be made a day ahead. Cover & refrigerate. Bring to a simmer before using.)
Cook pasta according to package directions. Place arugula in a colander. When past is al dente, pour water over arugula to wilt. Place drained pasta & arugula in bowl then pour in tomatoes. Toss w/ cheese.
Enjoy!
2 comments:
I think you should have named this post "Quick and Sleezy!"
I made this last night, it's really yummy! And super easy. I was a little scared of how much arugula it calls for, but I should have trusted you. It all wilts down to almost nothing!
Post a Comment