Monday, September 22, 2008

I always eat dessert first.


I will admit first, that this post has taken me about 24 hours to finish due to complications with our internet connection and the fact that every time I try to type above the photos, the font looks like a hyperlink - I can't figure it out so I am adding the information under the picture. Argh!!

So, I don't really "always" eat dessert first - but when it comes to Creme Brulee, I strongly consider it. And the phrase "I always eat dessert first" harkens back to my UC Davis days. This kid Albert (ensconced in his maroon sweat pant suit) used to roam around the dining commons muttering under his breath that he always ate dessert first. And that he did.

Anyhow, I made two divine recipes this weekend. The first was Prosciutto-Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Mushroom Sauce. My dear friend Angela sent this recipe to me ages ago, and I finally mustered enough nerve to actually try it (tying meat with twine freaks me out a bit and it takes me outside my culinary comfort zone). I feel like a whole new woman having taken on this recipe. Two words: Um Yum.

Prosciutto Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Mushroom Sauce
Ingredients
2 lbs pork tenderloins
3/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
8 thin slices prosciutto (8x2 inches)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (from French bread - however, I cheated and used plain bread crumbs brought to me by Progresso)
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp each salt and pepper

1. Lay tenderloins side by side - overlap prosciutto strips cross-wise down the length of the pork. Mix breadcrumbs, 1 tsp each of rosemary and thyme (be generous!) and 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle on top of prosciutto - fold prosciutto over the stuffing and roll 2nd loin over first and tie with kitchen twine.

2. Mix salt, pepper, 1 tsp each of rosemary and thyme (again, be generous!) - rub over roast. (The first time I made this recipe I just sprinkled everything individually - it was MUCH better mixing them all together and rubbing onto the roast.) Let roast stand for 30 minutes. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet (I used my AllClad and it was a little too small and I had a difficult time rotating the roast. The second time, I used my oval dutch oven and it worked much better). Add roast and saute until brown, turning often. Place skillet and roast in oven - roast at 350* until thermometer reaches 145* (about 35 minutes).

3. Add mushrooms and garlic to skillet over medium heat for 6 minutes (may need to add butter - I took this instruction as mandatory - everything is better with butter). Add wine and broth. Boil until sauce thickens enough to coat spoon, approx. 6 minutes (both times I've had to add a little corn starch to thicken the sauce). Season with salt and pepper - serve over pork.



My resting roast - doesn't it look yummy?? You can see the prosciutto peaking out on the ends. It was so good, my mouth is watering just looking at this picture.
Sauteing the 'shrooms in my delightful dutch oven.

The finished product with a yummy orzo, tomato and walnut salad topped with feta. Also a great recipe. So good, that I'll go ahead and give it to you:

Ingredients:
1/2 lb orzo pasta (this amount is not merely a suggestion - I did 1 pound and I think Jeremy and I will be eating orzo salad for the rest of our lives)
1 cup toasted and coarsely chopped walnuts
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1 cup feta cheese crumbles
2-3 stems fresh oregano, leaves stripped from stems, finely chopped (the fresh oregano really made the difference - I've made it before with dried oregano and it just didn't compare)
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper


Cook orzo in slated water to al dente. Toast walnuts while you cut up tomatoes and place in a bowl. Cool nuts slightly, chop and add to tomatoes. Add the zest and juice of a lemon, 2 tbsp oil (you can go easy on this...), feta, and oregano. Drain pasta, toss with tomato mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.


DELISH.


Finally, to top off the evening, we indulged ourselves in Classic Creme Brulee. My dear sweet Mother-in-Law got me a Creme Brulee cookbook and all the accouterments (the torch is Jeremy's favorite kitchen tool). It was actually easier to make than I thought - although I did have to call my Culinary Mentor (my mom) several times to make sure I wasn't making any wrong turns!


Ingredients
2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
4-inch piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise
6 large egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp Cognac (optional - I actually used Brandy as I have it on hand for cooking and its a tiny bit more affordable!)
6 tbsp oven-dried brown sugar or granulated sugar for topping


1) Pour the cream into a medium saucepan, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the cream, and add the vanilla pod. Place over medium heat until small bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Remove from the heat and let cook to room temperature (I was super impatient and it felt like it took literally hours for it to cool). Remove the vanilla pod and scrape any remaining seeds into the cream.


2) Preheat oven to 275*.


3) In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until pale in color. Whisk in the 1/3 cup granulated sugar until dissolved. Gradually whisk in the cream. Stir in the Cognac, if desired.


4) Place six standard-size flan dishes in a baking pan. Divide the custard mixture among the dishes. Pour warm water int o the pan to come halfway up the sides of the dishes (this has two purposes: it creates a moist environment for the custard so its nice and smooth, and assists in the cooking time - I used cold water and ended up having to cook the custard for about 60 minutes). Back in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center of each custard still jiggles slightly. Remove from the oven and lift the dishes from the hot water. Let cool briefly, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.


5) When ready to serve, place the dishes on a backing sheet. Evenly sprinkle 1 tbsp brown or granulated sugar over each custard. Using a hand-held blowtorch, caramelize the sugar. (We had our guests sprinkle their own sugar and torch their own custard - it was tons of fun. I recommend two layers, so much fun to crack and dive in!)


Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the finished product as we dove in immediately and devoured the divine dessert! We have two left over that will be savored this evening!

7 comments:

Sarah Soja said...

You said "Dutch Oven."

Anonymous said...

I am getting super annoyed with the editing features of blogger. I can't figure them out - therefore the entry doesn't quite look like what I envisioned. Maybe next time.

Sarah Soja said...

I think that the big letters are kinda cool.

Coxina said...

I love that you mentioned our dear Castillian friend, Albert, describing his ensemble of maroon cotton. I wonder where he is now?

BTW, your loins look excellent!

acoplen said...

Man, I wish we could have been there to share this meal. It looks awesome. Although after seeing the ingredients for creme brulee, I may never eat it!! Well, I am sure I can allow myself to indulge occasionally.

The Meyers Family said...

such yumminess! All I can say is that if you continue to cook like this on a regular basis after kiddos enter the picture, I'll be amazed (and totally envious). I still love to cook, but it definitely takes on a different angle once there are monkeys nipping at your ankles during the process. Enjoy it while you can!!

Jamie van Hoften said...

"CAN I HAVE SOME?????"