Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring!


We just got back from a week in Truckee - for those of you who are unfamiliar with the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Truckee is just north of Lake Tahoe.  It was fabulous!  Tahoe has had a rough snow season (or so I've heard) but right before we got there, there was a huge storm that dumped 40 inches! I wish I could say I got to go snowboarding, but as I am 18 weeks prego, there was no snowboarding.  We did get to go snowshoeing and sledding, but that was the extent of our outdoor activities!

We bundled up the little man and tucked him into a hiking backpack and he loved it!  He was super snug but threw a fit when we cuffed his hands to keep them warm.  So we un-cuffed and gave him some pine cones.  Look how pleased he is to be holding "pie cones" - he also insisted on holding the poles at one point during our hike.  He LOVED the snow.  One morning, right after it snowed, my mom opened the door to show he and my nephew the fresh snow on the drive. 



Owen took off down the drive and into the street in his sleeper PJs screaming with glee...My nephew, the ultimate beach baby, kept saying "nopey" and wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with the snow.  However, he looked pretty darn cute tolerating the cold weather!  Poor Will.  If Owen could have stayed outside all day in the snow, playing with his sand toys, he would have!




We had a wonderful time with my family and I hope we can go back in the summer next time!

Meanwhile, back in Kansas it is 80*!  Owen is currently playing with the hose and using the same sand toys he used in the snow in his little pool.  What a difference a few thousand miles makes...In honor of this early summer,  I mean spring (summer in KS is WAY hotter than 80* and includes a nice dose of humidity!), we made the most delish grilled chicken salad!  It has yummy grilled asparagus, feta, pita chips, tomatoes, and kalamata olives.  I searched my posts and I cannot believe I've not posted this one yet.  I made it for my sister's baby shower just about 2 years ago and it has been a repeat performer ever since!

PS: I'm taking a photography class to hopefully improve my food-pic taking abilities!!  Oh, and to take better pics of Owen as well :)

Grilled Chicken Pita Salad
Adapted from Sunset Magazine
~Serves 4~

Ingredients
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 lb total)
About 6 tbsp. EVOO, divided
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed (to trip asparagus, all you do is snap off the ends - they will snap where the woody part meets the meaty part!)
4 ounces, block feta cheese
2 cups halved grape tomatoes
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
2 cups pita chips
2 cups loosely packed greens (arugula, baby spinach, baby romaine, spring mix, etc.)
1 avocado, diced

Instructions
Rub the chicken with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.  Grill on medium direct heat for 12 minutes (for a gas grill) or cooked to desired doneness.  Throw the asparagus on there for the last 3-5 minutes - don't over cook!  Wilted asparagus is the worst!  Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes, then slice.  Cut the asparagus in about 2 inch pieces.

In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, 1/3 cup oil (I used less and will probs only do about 1/4 cup next time), oregano, and pepper; set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine chicken, cheese, asparagus, tomatoes, olives, and pita chips.  (I prefer crisp pitas so we popped them on at the end so they weren't soggy.) Pour reserved dressing over mixture and toss gently to coat. Add greens and toss once more just to combine.  Divide up onto serving plates and top with avocado. 

Bon Appetit!




1 comment:

Brandy said...

That salad looks wonderful. Good photo, lady!