Tuesday, December 20, 2011

We've hired someone to clear the driveway...




He removed his mittens specifically to play with his new shovel.

So, do you think this violates any child labor laws in Kansas??  We had our first real snow this season and O took full advantage (and so did I) of being outside!  Why is there such a difference playing in the frigid windy weather versus the snow?The picture above was taken when daddy got home and introduce O to his new snow shovel.  It would be an understatement to say he loved it.

His first steps in the crunchy snow - he motored all over!
We played for quite a while in the backyard: we marched all around, played on the fort, made snow angels and snowballs, and finally he was worn out!


This was right before he headed down the snowy slide!  He got stuck a few times, but enjoyed it none the less!



I love how bright blue his eyes are in his blue snow gear!  He worked up quite the appetite after our little snow day and I made him this:



He goes back and forth with eating veggies.  The only sure way to get him to eat them is to incorporate them into a dish.  He not only gobbled this up, but stood on his stool, in between my arms, as I chopped the peppers and rosemary and kept stuffing chopped peppers in his mouth.  I refuse to have a picky eater!!!

Orzo with Rainbow Veggies
Adapted from "Cooking for Baby"
Makes 2 cups

Ingredients
Salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup orzo
1 Tbsp EVOO
1tsp minced rosemary (yay, my rosemary plant is still thriving - in the basement no less!)
1/2 cup diced red and yellow bell peppers (I used orange instead of yellow, obvi)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 tsp fresh lemon juice (oh how I wish I lived in CA where I would have my very own lemon tree and wouldn't be forced to pay up to $.50 for a lemon.)

Instructions
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil.  Add a large pinch of salt and the orzo.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions.  Drain.
  • In a frying pan, over medium heat, heat the EVOO.  Add rosemary and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add bell peppers and peas and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
  • Add orzo to the pan and toss with veggies.  Sprinkle with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bon Appetite for your little ones!

No comments: