
Little O is totally ready to celebrate our Nation's Independence! How cute are those little teethers?! He just got two more on top on either side, but they are slow to move into place. And today he bit my shoulder for the first time - SWEET. I yelped in pain and puffed out his bottom lip and started crying. Like he was the one that got bit with razor sharp baby teeth!! Anyhow, I love this little bug and hopefully he'll wear is USA headband for a few more pics :)
What could be more patriotic and evoke feelings of summertime than watermelon mojitos? (Okay, okay, I recognize that the "mojito" is a Cuban drink, but I like the American twist with some delicious summertime watermelon!) We had these tonight on our front porch listening to the fools in our neighborhood light their fireworks two days early. I remember last year going CRAZY listening to the fireworks. For whatever reason I am strictly opposed to lighting off personal fireworks unless it is the 4th of July. It's just wrong. Last year I just about lost my mind - I was also 36 weeks pregnant, super hot, and super irritable. Kansas heat and humidity is WAY more bearable when you AREN'T preggers!!
Watermelon Mojitos
Makes 6 drinks ~ "Barefoot Contessa How Easy is That?"
Ingredients
30 large fresh mint leaves, coarsely torn by hand
3 to 4 thick slices fresh watermelon (This instruction was hard to follow for me, so I just threw in 2 cups of already chopped up watermelon sans seeds and got a cup and a half of watermelon juice. The recipe calls for 2 cups of watermelon juice later in the instructions.)
12 ounces light rum, such as Bacardi
1/2 cup simple syrup (J Man makes it with one cup sugar, and one cup water. Heat over high heat until the sugar is dissolved.)
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
Sprigs of mint and spears of watermelon, for serving
Instructions
Use a mortar and pestle to mash the mint leaves. Remove and discard the rind and seeds of the watermelon. Put the fruit into a food processor fitted with the steel blade and puree. Put the mashed mint into a large pitcher with 2 cups of pureed watermelon, the rum, simple syrup, and lime juice and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into a pitcher for serving.
Place ice cubs in 6 glasses and pour the mojito mixture into the glasses. Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint and spears of watermelon. Serve ice cold.
Happy 4th of July!
No comments:
Post a Comment