Thursday, March 24, 2011

Just your typical Thursday morning...


Just kidding. I don't normally bake scones for breakfast on Thursday mornings. In fact, I don't normally bake at all. I tend to be totally impaired in the baking arena; I tend to forget an ingredient (crucial when baking) or I leave it in the oven not long enough or a tad too long. So I tend to avoid baking altogether and stick to the stuff you can't really mess up. Anyfood, I found this Cinnamon Scone recipe on Pioneer Woman and had to try it. I sent it to my sister (the consummate baker) and she made them over the weekend and raved. Thus, being a DONSA (Day of None Scheduled Activity - seriously, it is really called that) for Jeremy, I decided to bake, while he monitored Scooter.

"Can I get a little help here? I have no depth perception so I didn't know my noggin wouldn't fit through here..."

Sweet Cinnamon Scones

Makes 8 in the round


Ingredients
3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (I recommend Penzey's Cinnamon - so delightful!)
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 whole egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cinnamon chips (Now, my mom and sister cannot get these little gems in their super market, but the Midwest is chocked full of them. If you need some, let me know and I'll send you some! My mother-in-law used to be my supplier, but now that I am *lucky* enough to live in the middle of nowhere, I can buy them myself!)

Topping
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1-1 1/2 tsp heavy cream (I didn't have any heavy cream left, so I used a chunk of melted butter)

I'd like to give a shout out to my Helpy McHelperton!

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and baking powder. Cut butter into pieces, then cut into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cinnamon chips.

Mix together cream, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour into flour/butter mixture, stirring gently with a fork to combine.

Turn onto work surface (mixture will be very crumbly and falling apart.) Gently press together on the sides as you flatten (or roll, with a rolling pin) the top. Form either into a large circle or a large rectangle. Mix together topping ingredients, stirring with a fork. Sprinkle over the top of the dough, lightly pressing.

Cut into wedges (from a circle) or triangles (from a rectangle.) Transfer to a cookie sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Serve with coffee.


I was a little freaked out at how large these suckers turned out and Jeremy wisely pointed out that they are "cowboy" size - per the Pioneer Woman :) Next time I will be rolling them into a rectangle and making them MUCH smaller. Mine were a little *too* flaky - and since I am a novice baker, I will be perfecting my craft and figuring out why!

Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Hi Megan, these look good, even for scones, not always my fav! But I have made a few pioneer woman recipes, that my sister passed on to me, and they are all good. Wish we were in the same town and we could chat over a cup of coffee while Jack and Claire entertained Owen and Max! Can't wait to see you in May, soon I hope to post my 2 mo photo of Max and his stickers!

Samantha said...

Well, yum. Those sound delish! I adore scones! Maybe they are too flaky bec you need some more liquid? My scone dough is usually pretty tacky, and when I get them falling apart it's usually because I added too many dry ingredients (I like to add in oats, bran, flax, etc). Maybe increase the cream slightly, or keep the cream as is and add another egg?

Samantha

PS, remember the coffee guy at law school, who had those unbelievable white chip scones? I have never been able to figure out how to make scones with a texture that perfect.

The Meyers Family said...

Yes, please. And that's for the scones AND the freakishly adorable baby.