The boys will be celebrating their first Halloween this year and it was SO FUN to get them together for a photo shoot! And check out those beanies! Aren't they just the cutest?? And I promise this post relates to food eventually...the mash part of Monster Mash is a Mashed Butternut Squash recipe, stay tuned. I just had to show off the little men in my life!
Bat Boy! Owen is still a tinge nocturnal, thus for Halloween, we discussed it and he decided he'd like to be a bat. Obviously he won't be trick-or-treating (although Jeremy thought he'd take Owen out and get some candy for himself...), but he had to have a costume for his first Halloween!
Alright, now on to the food. Yes, I made the Arugula Salad with Fennel, Grapes and Gorgonzola - its hard to resist. I also made the most delectable Mashed Butternut Squash - seriously delish. And my dear friend Ina strips this squash of all of its nutritional value by adding copious amounts of butter, brown sugar and cream - oh my! SO GOOD.
Mashed Butternut Squash
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style
Ingredients
2 medium butternut squash (4 to 5 lbs total) - I used 1 3 pounder and adjusted everything accordingly.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup half and half - I used heavy cream because that is what I had in the fridge.
Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Cut off and discard the ends of the squash. Peel the squash, cut them in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into 3/4 inch cubes and place them on a baking sheet. Add the melted butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Toss all the ingredients together and spread in a single layer. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the squash is very tender. While roasting, turn the squash once to be sure that it cooks evenly. Do not let it brown.
- Transfer the squash and the pan juices to a large mixing bowl, and mix with an electric mixer until smooth. It should have the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Season to taste and serve hot. If the squash is too thick, thin it with milk, orange juice or water.
No comments:
Post a Comment