Sunday, February 7, 2010

Choppin' Broccoli


Do you guys remember that Dana Carvy "Choppin'Broccoli" skit? I've linked it if not; basically Dana sings about choppin' broccoli, and that is exactly what I was doing when I was making Broccoli Soup! Seriously, so easy and delish. And if you live in DC, you can store the leftovers on your balcony during Snowmageddon 2010...


This recipe is inexact, but I will give the list of ingredients anyhow. It comes down to taste really. We ate it with a loverly butternut squash sally - I will give the ingredients for the salad dressing as well!

Broccoli Soup
Serves a ton - from My Mom's Kitch (who I think got it from my Aunt Wink)

Ingredients: (Note, I always, always, always, double this recipe)

1 lb. broccoli or 2 10 oz. packages frozen broccoli (I've also used the precut bags from Trader Joe's - just be sure to cut off the bad bits)
3 cups chicken broth (2 cans) (Again, inexact, I basically poor in enough broth so that just the top layer is not submerged - then I cover and the steam will reduce the bulk of the broccoli. You can always add more broth later if you like a soupier soup!)
1/8 tsp pepper (I used freshly ground from my new mortar and pestle!)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp lemon bits or rind, or 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
1/4 tsp Tabasco
Olive oil (for those who need an amount, I usually eye ball it, its for sauteing the onion...I'd do no more than a tablespoon)
1 onion, finely chopped
Milk (optional - I never add it) until creamy consistency


Yay, how fun is my new mortar and pestle?? I laaauuuuuvvvveeee it!


Instructions:

Saute onion with some olive oil (again, inexact). Add broccoli and broth (like I said earlier, add enough to leave the top layer of broccoli un-submerged - the picture above is after it has been cooking with the lid on and the broccoli and cooked down a bit.) Simmer until broccoli is soft. Add remainder of ingredients. Process with a hand held blender to desired consistency. Serve immediately because it is so good!!

Do you have a hand held blender? I also love this little kitchen gadget. Very handy for soups!

YUMMMMMMMMM!

Dinner is served! The salad is a butternut squash salad that I copied from my cousin Jamie - who adapted it from our girl Ina (Back to Basics)...It is a bed of arugula, bacon, roasted butternut squash, toasted pecans, and a dab of goat cheese! The dressing ingredients and instructions are as follows:

3/4 cup apple cider or apple juice (I actually used white grape juice and couldn't even tell...)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallots (I just used onion because that was all I had)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine juice, vinegar and shallots in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until cider is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Off the heat, whisk in the mustard, olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

acoplen said...

So are you no longer little Martha?