Thursday, July 30, 2009

Get Grilling


We have been getting amazing, I mean absolutely amazing, fruit and veggies from our farm co-op.  This past week we have gotten more peaches than we know what to do with!  I was flipping through the July 2009 Real Simple and came across a treasure trove of 20 minute summer meals - so far we've tried two and both have been fantastic!  And, oh by the way, the J Man made this delectable dish of grilled chicken, grilled peaches, and grilled onions!  YUM.  And no, we are not violating Arlington County's restriction on BBQ's, we used are fabulous All Clad grill pan...I love me some All Clad.  Fo shizzle.

Chicken with Grilled Peaches and Arugula
Serves 4 - Real Simple, July 2009

Ingredients

4 6-oz boneless skinless chicken breasts (I always put them in between some plastic wrap and pound them with a meat mallet so they cook a little more evenly...)
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
2 medium red onions, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds (not an exact science...I used one large onion and sliced the rings in halfster)
3 peaches, cut into wedges (if they are on the small side, like my organic ones are [and man are they delish!!] just throw one more in there)
1 bunch arugula, thick stems removed (about 4 cups) (and again, didn't really follow this one...we used mixed baby romaine)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 oz blue cheese, broken into pieces

Instructions

> Heat grill to medium-high (or if you are going for the grill pan option, medium-high on the burners).  Brush the chicken with 1 teaspoon of the oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.  In a bowl, toss the onions, peaches, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.

>Grill the chicken and onions until the chicken is cooked through and the onion are tender, 5-6 minutes per side.  Grill the peaches until charred, 2 minutes per side.

>Toss the arugula (or baby romaine) with the onions, peaches, vinegar, and remaining oil.  Top with the cheese; serve with the chicken.

1 comment:

elmosoccers said...

I didn't know you liked Real Simple. There was a special on Amazon, a year subscription for $5.