Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Fishing We Will Go...

Jeremy went fishing on our very first camping trip!  These babies are 35 pounds a piece.  Nice, right?  I'd like to say that he actually caught one of these suckers and we served it up for dinner around the camp fire, but that would be a lie.  Jeremy was not so lucky to catch one of these suckers.  In fact, he didn't catch a thing.  These babies were caught off a fishing boat - they just happened to be downloaded at the pier right by where we were sun bathing, so we came to inspect these fine specimen.  Have you ever watched professional fishermen in action?  Um, what an interesting species.    

Anyfood, we went on our very first camping trip!  This was big for two reasons: 1) there was no TV and 2) I've never been camping without a motor home (except once, and I was with extremely experienced campers that had all the fancy gear).  So we had to fend for ourselves around the campfire and camp stove.  I would say it was a raving success!
The first night we had dogs and corn...the corn took about 4 hours.  Seriously, the fire simply was not hot enough.  At Virginia State Parks, you aren't permitted to bring in your own fire wood - you are forced to buy their damp, moldy wood.  So it burns slow, low, and smokey (Jeremy was baffled that I knew this - however, even though I grew up in a motor home, we camped every single summer and Easter Break until I graduated from high school.  I did learn a thing or two about camp fires!)  Anyfood, the dogs were delish, however they were covered in a wee bit of smoke and char which I wasn't too excited about.  The corn, once it FINALLY cooked was delish!
The first morning, J fired up our brand new camp stove!  It took a bit for us to figure out that the stove was actually lit...apparently the caps over the burners prevent us from seeing the flames.  Good to know.  Anyfood, we had turkey bacon, flat fried eggs, cantaloupe, and watermelon.  We also tried out our new percolator - YUMMY coffee.  For serious.  However, we ground our coffee a little too fine so there were some grounds in our joe.  If you look close enough you will notice a picture of yours truly on the coffee mug - I think I might have been about one or two in that snap shot.  For my 16th birthday my ever-so-thoughtful parents took me and a group of friends camping at Doheny - the party faves were pics of each of the girls on their own mug.  My mom had contacted their parents ahead of time to get the pics.  She recently sent my mug to me, and I thought it was fitting that I use it on this trip.  We'll have to get one for the J man!
Night number two I made burritos!  My cousin JJ and her husband are avid campers and highly recommend burritos.  OMG, fabulous!  A must for our next trip.  Piece of cake to chop up some bell peppers, red onions, and 1/2 a jalapeno; heat up some refried beans (vegetarian kind - no lard for me thanks!); toss in some taco meat that we used earlier this week and ta-da!  SO GOOD.

Great trip, great company, and great food!


1 comment:

Jamie van Hoften said...

Love that you loved the burritos!!! I have many, many more camping food ideas where that came from. Maybe one day we'll camp together. I'm heading to San Elijo tomorrow for some "camping" with my parents and the Swansons. Should bring back all sorts of fun memories.