Saturday, April 18, 2009

I just couldn't wait.

Seriously. This tandoori chicken was SO GOOD. My friend Heather made it for me one Monday whilst we watched the Bachelor (like I said earlier, don't be a hater). It was delish, so I thought I'd try my hand at it. We literally finished eating about 10 minutes ago - I just couldn't wait to share the news that it is AMAZING.

The recipe calls for chicken breasts, thighs, and drum sticks. I picked out one tray of drum sticks and after about 10 minutes I had to walk away - I had been staring at the other chicken pieces and it was getting to me. I'm a total wimp when it comes to bone in skin on chicken - and that is what it calls for. But then it tells you to take the skin off. Next time I'm getting bone in skin off. I was absolutely horrified as I was removing the skin. Groady to the max. Anyfood, like I said, it called for all sorts of parts, but I just did the drum sticks as it was just Little Jerry and me and we did not need a ton of left overs!

Tandoori Chicken

Serves 4. Published January 1, 2009. From Cook's Illustrated.

INGREDIENTS

2tablespoons vegetable oil
6medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tablespoons)
2tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1tablespoon garam masala (I went to Penzy's Spices for the first time today to get me some garam masala - totally worth it. I didn't get out of there without spending $20 on spices. It was so great - find one and get there! If you can't find garam masala, you can make it the following way: 2 teaspoons ground coriander, ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper)
2teaspoons ground cumin
2teaspoons chili powder
1cup plain whole-milk yogurt (I used plain Greek yogurt from Trader J's - didn't notice a difference)
4tablespoons juice from 2 limes, plus 1 lime, cut into wedges
2teaspoons table salt
3pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken parts (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks, or a mix, with breasts cut in half), trimmed of excess fat and skin removed (how lame is this instruction? Just get bone in skin off - whateves yo, you don't need the extra work)

**Chopped Cilantro

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. 1. Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add garam masala, cumin, and chili powder; continue to cook until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds longer. Transfer half of garlic-spice mixture to medium bowl; stir in yogurt and 2 tablespoons lime juice and set aside. (Seriously, it smells SO GOOD)

  2. 2. In large bowl, combine remaining garlic-spice mixture, remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, and salt. Using sharp knife, lightly score skinned side of each piece of chicken, making 2 or 3 shallow cuts about 1 inch apart and about 1/8 inch deep; transfer to bowl. Using hands, gently massage salt-spice mixture into chicken until all pieces are evenly coated; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.

  3. 3. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position (about 6 inches from heating element) and heat oven to 325 degrees. Pour yogurt mixture over chicken and toss until chicken is evenly coated with thick layer. Arrange chicken pieces, scored-side down, on wire rack set in foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan. Discard excess yogurt mixture. Bake chicken until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken registers 125 degrees for breasts and 130 for legs and thighs, 15 to 25 minutes. Smaller pieces may cook faster than larger pieces. Transfer chicken pieces to plate as they reach correct temperature. (My sticks took about 25 minutes to register 130*)

    1. 4. After removing chicken from oven, turn oven to broil and heat 10 minutes. Once broiler is heated, flip chicken pieces over and broil until chicken is lightly charred in spots and instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken registers 165 degrees for breasts and 175 for legs and thighs, 8 to 15 minutes. (My birdies took about 10 minutes) Transfer chicken to large plate, tent loosely with foil, and rest 5 minutes. Serve with chutney or relish, passing lime wedges separately. (Um, I am just reading this instruction right now - totally didn't do this step as it was 9:30 PM and we were a wee bit hungry. But kind of Euro to eat at 9:30, right?)

      **I sprinkled chopped up cilantro on top - not called for, but totally worth it.

      ~~

      Okay, so I've not be blogging too much lately. That is for one reason, and one reason only. I've been addicted to my needles -- my knitting needles that is. So I though I'd share a few pics of my projects to show you what I've been up to. I'm sad that my two loves are competing, but I think today I struck a good balance. But I shall sign off soon in order to get back to my socks!

My first pair of socks! I have about 9" of the cuff done, and now I'm working on the heel. I got this fun yarn in Germany at the Rottenberg Christmas Market.
This is my first tank! It has been a long journey getting this baby put together - but I'm almost done! As soon as its finished, I might even post a picture of me modeling it - cannot wait to get it done!

2 comments:

elmosoccers said...

The sweater and the food looks amazing.

Anonymous said...

The chicken is AMAZING!